Senior Director, Federal Budget and Tax Policy
Our partners at First Focus are seeking a full-time Senior Director, Federal Budget and Tax Policy to lead the First Focus work in determining and documenting how children’s programs are faring in the federal budget. This person will have advocacy and analytical work experience and be able to work closely with other children’s advocacy organizations.
First Focus is a bipartisan advocacy organization dedicated to making children and families a priority in federal policy and budget decisions. First Focus leads a comprehensive advocacy strategy, with its hands-on experience with federal policymaking and a commitment to seeking bipartisan solutions. Some advocates believe that painting a compelling picture of the problems facing children is enough. First Focus believes awareness is the starting point, not the finish line. First Focus approaches it’s advocacy work, which is performed in partnership with its 501 (c)(4) affiliate – First Focus Campaign for Children – through the following four steps: Raising Awareness, Developing Policy Solutions, Building Will and Taking Action.
Senior Director, Federal Budget and Tax Policy will research and analyze federal budget and tax policy proposals and policies, including legislative specifications; design and execute policy implementation strategies; and, produce policy related material for advocacy and educational efforts. Experience working on Capitol Hill or within a public policy nonprofit preferred.
- Author and oversee the production of First Focus’s annual Children’s Budget book, which documents the five year spending trends for the 180+ federal programs that impact children.
- Develop a federal budget and tax agenda that highlights children’s issues and family tax provisions.
- Help to lead the Children’s Budget Coalition, a coalition with over 25 leading children’s national organizations.
- Analyze new and existing federal budget and tax proposals and their impact on children and families.
- Analyze annual President’s budget and congressional budgets and create proposed action plans to address First Focus’s position.
- Develop, nurture, and leverage relationships with elected and appointed officials and their staffs and with national advocacy organizations and coalitions that can influence federal budget and tax policies related to children and families.
- Represent First Focus outside of the organization at meetings and speaking engagements.
- Write reports, briefings, fact sheets and other written material regarding federal budget and tax policy, along with other data analysis, related to children for dissemination to various audiences.
- Helps keep First Focus website updated with latest policy resources and materials.
Education, Skills and Abilities
We’re seeking candidates who excel in relationship building, and are detail and results-oriented. Bachelor’s degree in related fields, including public policy, government, or economics, and 2-3 years of experience in federal advocacy and/or data analysis.
- Proficiency in the areas of federal budget analysis.
- Fundamental understanding of federal tax policies that impact families.
- Ideal person will understand federal policy-making process, be adept with key tools in advocacy and policy change, understand political landscape and be able to work on issues that require bipartisan support to lead to policy change.
- Experience working on Capitol Hill or engaging in advocacy on Capitol Hill.
- Knowledge of the federal budget.
- Demonstrated skill/experience in developing strategies to affect public policy debates and decisions; and an ability to consider complex budget and tax issues and explain those issues (both in writing and orally) for broader audience.
- Advanced communications skills including public speaking, persuasive writing and negotiations. Ability to communicate tactfully and effectively, both verbally and in writing, with a wide range of external contacts; and the ability to speak to large and small groups as well as facilitate and plan meetings.
- Ability to analyze data, particularly from federal agencies, and ascertain the unique impact that it will have on children and families.
- Demonstrate the maturity and confidence to work internally and externally to promote the legislative agenda of First Focus Campaign for Children and the Children’s Budget Coalition.
- Proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, Word and Outlook; and be able to prepare graphic presentation and conduct internet research.
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive.
Submit a cover letter outlining your interest in the position and your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.